When purchasing an artificial tree make sure it specifies that the tree is fire resistant. When purchasing real trees try to buy a tree that is as fresh as possible because it is less of a fire hazard than a dry tree.
Water a cut tree on a daily basis and keep them away from fireplaces or other heat sources that can dry the tree out and create a fire hazard.
When decorating, use fire retardant decorations and never leave a lit tree unattended.
Place your tree out of the way of traffic and make sure to not block doorways.
Dispose of your tree properly, soon after the end of the holidays before the needles dry out.
Avoid decorations that are sharp or breakable or have small removable parts that can be swallowed by children. Also avoid trimmings that resemble candy or food as a child could be tempted to eat them.
Purchase lights and electric decorations which have been approved by a testing agency such as the Underwriters Laboratory (UL).
Check all lighting for frayed wires, broken plugs, and sockets. Never overload outlets, use no more than three strands of lights on a single extension cord.
When hanging lights outside always use appropriate weatherproof lights and make sure they are firmly supported to protect from wind damage.
Never use candles on or near trees or other flammable decorations and place them where they can not be knocked over.
Turn off all lights on trees and other decorations before you go to bed or leave the house.
General Holiday Safety
Keep matches, lighters, and candles out of the reach of children.
Avoid smoking in the household near any flammable decorations.
Do not wear loose fitting clothes near open flames, such as those of a fireplace, stove, or candlelit table.
After decorating is complete check for and eliminate potential danger spots near candles, fireplaces, trees, and/or electrical connections.
Mailing Address 1405 Meetinghouse Road Boothwyn, PA 19061