Electrical Safety

Electrical Fire Facts:

Electrical fires can be caused by electrical system failures and appliance defects but many more are caused by the misuse and poor maintenance of electrical appliances, incorrectly installed wiring, and overloaded circuits and extension cords. December is the most dangerous month and other winter months because of increases in lighting, heating, and appliance use.

Safety Precautions

  • Routinely check your electrical appliances and wiring.
  • Never overload extension cords or wall sockets.
  • Do not place cords and wires under rugs, over nails or in any high traffic areas in your residence.
  • If you have light switches that are hot to the touch and you have lights that flicker, have them shut off immediately and have them fixed by a professional ASAP.
  • Make sure to ‘child proof’ all of your electrical outlets, and don’t allow children to play around electrical appliances.
  • Wires that are frayed can cause fires, replace all worn, old, or damaged appliance cords immediately.
  • When you purchase electrical appliances look for products which meet the UL standard for safety.
  • If an appliance has a three prong plug use it only in a three slot outlet. Never force it to fit into a two slot outlet or extension cord.
  • Check your electric tools regularly for signs of wear. If the cords are frayed or cracked have them replaced. Replace any tools that cause electrical shocks, overheats, shorts out or gives off smoke or sparks.
  • Only use lab approved electric blankets and warmers. Always check them to make sure that the cords are not frayed or damaged.
  • Keep electrical appliances away from wet floors and counters, pay special attention to electrical appliances in the bathroom and kitchen.